Wentworth War Memorial
The War memorial 1922 was constructed to commemorate the First World War and the Second World War.
The Wentworth War Memorial, 1922, to a design supplied to Lady Fitzwilliam by Sir Bache Cunard, and constructed by Messrs Clarkson & Co, sculptors of Rotherham, and is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
As a poignant reminder of the tragic impact of world events upon an individual community, commemorating the 26 men from the small village of Wentworth who lost their lives fighting in the First World War, and subsequently the five men who died in the Second World War.
A well-executed memorial in the form of a Celtic wheel cross set on a tall, tapering octagonal shaft, standing on a wide octagonal, stepped base.
In May 1919 a committee was formed to organise the erection of a local war memorial after a large public meeting at the Mechanics Institute in the village of Wentworth. The design for the memorial was received by Lady Fitzwilliam from Sir Bache Cunard and it was built by Messrs Clarkson & Co, sculptors of Rotherham, using white Darley Dale stone. The cost was £300-£350.
This was raised by subscription and the land on which it stands was a gift from Earl Fitzwilliam. The war memorial and the approximately triangular enclosure in which it stands are shown on the 1:2500 Ordnance Survey map for Yorkshire published in 1930.
The memorial commemorated the 26 men from the village who died in the First World War. It was unveiled on 17th September 1922 by the Countess Fitzwilliam and dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Sheffield (Dr Burrows). Subsequently the names of five men who lost their lives in the Second World War were added.
War memorial commemorating the First World War and the Second World War. 1922 to design supplied by Sir Bache Cunard and constructed by Messrs Clarkson & Co, sculptors of Rotherham. White Darley Dale stone.
The war memorial is set diagonally facing the angled junction of the B6090 and Hague Lane. It is constructed of smooth, ashlar stone blocks. The Celtic wheel cross is set on a tall, tapering, octagonal shaft. The front of the cross has roll-moulded edges with relief-carved interwoven Celtic patterns and a central boss.
The upper section of the octagonal double pedestal carries the dedication in applied lead lettering TO THE GLORIOUS DEAD WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY 1914-1919. The left-hand face has the dates 1939 -1945. The lower, deeper section has the names of the men in applied lead lettering.
The men who died in the First World War are listed on the front face and two flanking faces. The five names on the left-hand face are those who died in the Second World War. The pedestal stands on a wide octagonal base consisting of four steps.
The memorial stands in a small approximately triangular enclosure with a low, coursed stone wall with semi-circular coping to the rear and wrapping round the corners. In front is a curved, chamfered stone kerb flanked by two square piers with rounded caps. A wide, stone-flagged path leads to the memorial, which is bounded by an octagonal area of stone-flag paving.